Sunday 9 February 2014

One Week Down

It is hard to believe I've been here for over a week now. I know the time will continue to fly by, but I'm certainly doing my best to make the most of it! 

Yesterday morning we had our first cheetah run. This has to happen early in the morning so that it's not too hot. There were about 13 people booked in for this one at 8am, though cheetah runs are not always for the public. It was very cool to see the cats really going for it! The lure machine manages about 90kph so they were probably getting to about 85. Nala had two goes first and then we also ran Tessa. Apparently Jasmine is the best runner and just loves it, but she's not allowed at the moment while she's got babies on board! 

I tried to take a movie but I was also in charge of putting the bowl down at the end with a treat so it is not my best videoing skills. It also didn't seem to be my best bowl placing skills, Nala and Tessa kept running straight past me! Nala went head first into the lure machine and ignored me altogether! I'm crossing my fingers I can get the video to upload to here. If it works, you'll be able to see Jasmine running alongside in her enclosure, it was a bit sad she had to miss out!

After that we did some work in the new cheetah camp. On Friday they made a big fire to get rid of a lot of rubbish, so our job yesterday was to collect all the branches etc from around the outside that didn't burn and regather them into the middle for another fire. We only managed to work until about 11.30 though because it became disgustingly hot! As a result the rest of the day was a bit of a write off, we didn't manage cheetah time either because it was just too unpleasant outside. It makes the cheetahs grumpy too, they don't like it any more than we do. 

Today is a lot cooler and much more pleasant. This morning we did the normal water and poo duties though we get to sleep in on a Sunday and start at 8. Then it is bone day, so we give those out then that's it! This afternoon we just relax around the property before getting back into it in the morning. I think it will mainly be working on the new camp this week, there is a lot of debris to be cleared to get it up to scratch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment